Yield: 5 side servings
1 cup grated carrots
2 cups finely slivered red cabbage
2 cups finely slivered green cabbage
½ cup grated turmeric root
3 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp water
¼ tsp salt
6 pepper mill twists of black pepper
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Peel the carrot(s) and grate.
- Finely sliver the red and green cabbage, by hand or in a food processor with the proper attachment.
- Combine the carrots and cabbages in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Peel the turmeric root and grate by hand. Set aside. Beware - turmeric root turns things bright yellow! You may want to grate wearing thin plastic gloves. Be careful of surfaces, towels, etc.
- Set the grated turmeric aside. Because of its strong color, the grated turmeric will be placed on each portion of slaw, just before serving. If it's added to the main mixture, it will all turn yellow!
- Prepare the dressing: Mix the vegan mayonnaise, lime juice, water, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk together.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes, shuffling the seeds in the pan with short jerks.
- Add the toasted cumin seeds to the dressing mixture. Stir in well.
- Pour the dressing over the carrots and cabbage. Mix in well. Set aside for about 30 minutes to slightly wilt the cabbage. Give it a mix every 10 minutes or so to make sure the whole slaw gets some saturation.
- Portion the slaw on side plates or small bowls. Place a tablespoon of grated turmeric on top of each serving.