I used coconut sugar for a sweetener in this recipe. Maple syrup or honey are also good choices. Add any sweetener as the final step of the recipe.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Yield: 5 cups
1" piece of turmeric root
3" piece of ginger root
1 Tbsp orange zest
½ cup fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3 turns of a black pepper mill
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp coconut sugar
7 cups water
- Peel the turmeric and ginger root and cut into ⅛" - ¼" slivers.
- Zest a tablespoon of orange peel on a grater or zester.
- Fill a medium pot with 7 cups of water.
- Place the turmeric and ginger root pieces in the water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the zest, orange and lemon juice, black pepper and cinnamon.
- Simmer the mixture for at least 40 minutes.
- Add the coconut sugar to taste.
- Strain and serve.