Making your own energy bars with some whole and natural ingredients is easy. These are oil free and the sweetness comes from the brown rice syrup, peanut butter, vanilla and dried fruit. I've added some crushed cacao nibs which balances the sweetness nicely, and adds nutrients like magnesium, supporting brain, heart and digestive health. Extra bonus, cacao is known as a mood elevator! These are great for traveling or taking with you on a long, busy day out.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 - 15 minutes
Cooling time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 - 16
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1 ½ cup puffed brown rice
½ cup almonds, roughly chopped
½ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
¾ cup dates, diced small
¾ cup brown rice syrup
1 Tbsp. peanut butter, unsweetened
2 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ Tbsp, crushed cacao nibs.
pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare a shallow 8x8 oven tray (a small rectangular will work too) or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Crush the cacao nibs in a mortar and pestle, or a mock version of one, by placing nibs in a deep bowl and crushing with a flat bottomed can or cup.
- Combine oats, puffed rice, nuts, dates, cacao and salt in a deep mixing bowl.
- Place brown rice syrup, peanut butter and vanilla in a small pan, bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl and mix well with a wooden spatula. Once it cools, mixing with your hands may be easiest. The mixture will be very sticky.
- Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the tray with a wet hand (to avoid sticking to your hand.)
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into 16 squares or 8 rectangles.
- Allow to cool again for 15 minutes.