The Cherry Cacao Smoothie is a powerhouse of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Cherries, recently noted for their ability to reduce muscle and joint pain, have become a post-workout favorite. Cacao offers magnesium and iron, and are linked to boosting energy and mood. The oats and chia seeds give this smoothie volume, as well as providing fiber and protein. Chia seeds also offer digestive support and are a great source of Omega 3's for vegans. Down this smoothie and you may be skipping your latte today!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Serves: 1 - 2 (yields 12 oz of smoothie)
½ tsp chia seeds
1 heaping tsp cacao nibs
¼ cup overnight oats
¼ cup coconut milk yogurt, plain, unsweetened
¼ cup (if using for overnight oats) + ½ cup non-diary milk, plain, unsweetened
¾ cup frozen cherries
- Add your favorite plant protein.
- Use unfrozen cherries, if they are in season in where you live and add ¼ cup of crushed ice to bring up the cold.
1. Soak ¼ cup of dry oats in ¼ cup of water or non-dairy milk, plain, unsweetened.
2. Place in refrigerator overnight.
3. When ready to make smoothie, place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and mix until smooth. (For most high-speed blenders, it is recommended to add the frozen items last.)