Cooking time: 50 minutes
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. black mustard seed
1 tsp. cumin seed
½ cup yellow onion, finely slivered
4 cups green cabbage, shredded
¼ tsp. turmeric powder
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
12 medium spinach leaves, de-stemmed
6 Benevolent Bacon strips or seasoned tempeh strips
1-2 tsp. salt, to taste
4 slices of sprouted grain bread or 4 whole wheat 7-8" pita halves, or bread of choice.
- In a medium sauce pan or wok, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As the seeds begin to release fragrance, push them gently side to side with a wooden spatula. Keep a watch on these seeds so they don't burn.
- When the aroma gets strong and the mustard seeds begin to pop, add onions and stir.
- Add a dash of salt and stir.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add cabbage and stir the mixture.
- Add turmeric, salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is soft to the bite, but not mushy.
- Prepare the vegan bacon or tempeh strips: Place in toaster oven for 10-12 minutes; 5-6 minutes for each side.
- Prepare the spinach: Wilt in a steamer for 3 minutes.
- Prepare the bread: Toast the bread lightly or heat the pitas, or your bread of choice.
- When the mixture and additional items are done, prepare the sandwiches.
- Place ¼ cup of the cabbage mixture on each bread slice or in each pita half.
- Layer with 2 vegan bacon or tempeh strips divided into 4 smaller strips, and 3 spinach leaves each.
- Serve with the sauce on the side or spread on the bread.
- Warm or room temperature is best.
Ingredients: Cashew Russian Dressing
½ cup raw cashews
2 tsp. tomato paste
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. lemon juice
½-1 tsp. salt, to taste
black pepper, 3 turns of a grind
½ cup water
- Soak cashews in cool water for 30 minutes.
- After soaking, blend cashews with ½ cup of water and all ingredients, until smooth.
- Serve in small condiment bowls for each sandwich or spread directly on the bread.