Yield: 4 servings
2 medium Spaghetti Squash
½ tsp avocado oil
1 tsp salt, divided
½ tsp ground black pepper, divided
3 cups boxed chopped tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, pressed
½ cup Kalamata olive halves
¼ cup capers
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp crushed red peppers
2 Tbsp flat parsley
- Heat the tomatoes In a medium sauce pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, Kalamata olives, capers, paprika, salt and pepper. Allow mixture to simmer for 75 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 395 degrees.
- Prepare a baking tray for the squash with parchment paper.
- Cut the squash evenly in half, length wise. (Take care as it can be tricky managing a potentially rolling squash and a sharp knife.
- A small sharp knife works well, maneuvering it around half mark, length wise of the squash.)
- Scrape the seeds of each squash half. A grapefruit spoon works well.
- Lightly brush the flesh of the squash halves with the avocado oil.
- Sprinkle each halve with a dash of salt and ground black pepper.
- Place the squash halves, flesh side down, on the baking tray.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the flesh is tender to a toothpick or fork.
- Remove the squash halves from oven.
- Gently scrape the stringy flesh out of the shell with a fork.
- Place stringed squash in a pasta bowl with a serving of sauce.
- Garnish with crushed red pepper and parsley.