Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yield:: 2 cups
1½ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 sweet or yellow onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
Fine grain sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 cups sliced cremini
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
2 Tbsp.+ 1 ½ tsp. all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. low-sodium tamari, or to taste.
- In a skillet or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and rosemary and raise the heat to medium-high. Sauté for 8-9 minutes, or until most of the water released by the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Stir in the flour until all the vegetables are coated.
- Add the broth and tamari gradually, and stir quickly to smooth out any clumps of flour. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook, stirring often to ensure that it doesn't burn, for 5 minutes more.
- When the gravy has thickened to your liking, remove the pan from the heat and serve.
- For a gluten-free option, use all-purpose gluten-free flour and gluten-free tamari.
- If at any point the gravy becomes too thick, simply thin it out with a bit more broth. Likewise, if it's too thin, thicken it with a bit more flour.
Recipe credit: The Oh She Glows Cookbook, Angela Liddon