If you've never worked with fillo dough pastry, don't fret! Follow the directions on the package carefully and you'll be in good shape. I filled in under the instructions. Having a clean surface and enough space is key to working well with fillo. You just can't do it in a cramped area!
Cooking time: 75 minutes (total for mixture and pie)
4 cups thawed, frozen, chopped spinach
1 cup yellow onion, finely slivered
5 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1 cup scallions, finely slivered
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1/3 cup cashew cheese
1 tsp. olive oil
½ cup non-dairy butter
salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste
3 fillo dough pastry full sheets
1. Spinach mixture:
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add onions, scallions and lemon zest; mix in well.
- Add a dash of salt; mix in well.
- Sauté on medium heat until the onions begin to turn transluscent.
- Add the spinach, lemon juce, salt, to taste and ground black pepper, to taste; mix in well.
- Cook the mixture for about 12 minutes.
- Add cashew cheese; mix in well.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
2. The fillo and pie:
- Thaw frozen fillo dough package in the fridge for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Remove package from fridge and leave at room temperature for approximately 2 hours before using. (Refreeze what you don't use.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees..
- Heat the non-dairy butter until liquid.
- Have a pastry brush on hand so you are ready to 'paint' the fillo sheets.
- On a clean, spacious surface, unroll the fillo; keep unused sheets covered with a moistened tea towel as you work.
- Begin with the 1st sheet. (Remember to re-cover the stack of sheets, as you work.)
- Cut the sheet to the size of your pan and place at the bottom of the baking pan. This recipe is using an 8 x 8 pan and gets 2 layers per fillo sheet. Use a pizza cutter roller or fine knife to cut the fillo to size.
- Lightly brush the layer of fillo with the melted non-dairy butter.
- Place the 2nd cut fillo sheet on top and brush.
- Evenly spread the spinach mixture on top of the 2 layers of fillo.
- Cover the mixture by repeating the steps of layering and brushing with 4 fillo sheets.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the top is golden and crispy.