and there was extra parsley waiting to be used. The sweetness of the beets and bells, wonderfully compliments the tart lime juice and tangy parsley, and the pinch of cayenne adds a subtle kick. Extra bonus - there's a perfect food synergy going on here. The vitamin C, in the lime juice, bells and parsley, boosts the absorption of non-heme iron, in the beets. This is a great nutrient dense summer salad!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
4 medium - small beets
1 orange bell pepper
1 cup curly parsley, finely chopped
4 Tbsp. raw pumpkin seeds
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
pinch of cayenne
salt to taste
- Peel beets gently and cut into ¼ inch rounds. If you are using organic, and want to keep the peel on that is fine too. Give them a good wash with a veggie brush.
- Place beet slices in a pot on a steamer basket with ample water.
- Steam for about 15 minutes, until al dente to soft (careful not to over cook) and set aside.
- Place cumin seeds in a pan.
- Toast lightly on medium heat, until fragrance is released. While toasting shift the seeds with a light shake of of the pan from side to side or stir lightly with a wooden spatula.
- Remove and set aside.
- Mix lime juice, salt and cayenne, and set aside.
- Cut bell pepper in half, remove seeds and cut ¼ slices, from the bottom end up.
- Finely chop parsley
- Cut the steamed beets into ¼ cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Serve room temperature or chilled.