Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
4 medium to large Portobello mushrooms, medium dice
½ yellow onion, medium dice
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced through a garlic press
2 stalks celery, medium dice
½ - 1 cup almond milk or cashew milk, plain and unsweetened, as per desired creamy-ness. (Cashew milk is more creamy.)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
¼-½ tsp. ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp. ground cumin
3-4 cups of water
salt, to taste
parsley, sprigs or finally chopped for garnish
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and celery and sauté for 10 minutes. Add a pinch of salt early on to release juices.
- Add Portobello mushrooms, pepper and cumin to the mixture and sauté for 8-10 minutes. Add a pinch of salt to release water from the mushrooms. The aroma is earthy and wonderful!
- Add water and bring mixture to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Prep 4-8 parsley sprigs or fine chop 1 Tbsp. for garnish and set aside.
- Puree mixture with an immersion stick or standing blender until smooth.
- Add almond milk or cashew milk and blend in. You may want to add more water, depending on desired thickness.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place is serving bowls and top with garnish.